Top 3 reasons to host your E-commerce website on AWS VPC
Amazon Web Services Virtual Private Cloud (AWS VPC) allows us to launch cloud resources into a virtual network that we define. This virtual network similar to a traditional network gives the benefits of using the highly scalable cloud infrastructure of AWS. While there are many advantages of using AWS VPC to host your e-commerce website including Magento, Prestashop, and WordPress over other virtual networking solutions the top three reasons to use for your business is listed below.
1. PCI DSS Compliance
AWS VPC has been validated by an authorized independent Qualified Security Assessor (QSA). This enables merchants to establish a secure cardholder environment. Amazon VPC supports the storage, processing, and transmission of credit card data by a merchant or service provider. AWS VPC has also been validated to be compliant with Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard (DSS). This would also mean that you, as a merchant can rely on the PCI compliance validation for the technology infrastructure provided by Amazon and can obtain and manage their own compliance and certification. This not only simplifies moving your cardholder environment to AWS VPC but also makes it easier to manage your PCI audits and responses to incidents. This is very helpful when you accept credit cards on your Prestashop website.
2. VPC Security
Amazon provides three features that can be used to increase and monitor security for the VPC.
- Security groups – A virtual firewall that is connected to the instances launched within the VPC to control the inbound and outbound traffic.
- Network Access control lists (ACL) – A virtual firewall associated with the subnets. This controls the inbound and outbound traffic at the subnet level
- Flow logs – A feature to capture information flowing in and out of network interfaces defined within the VPC.
AWS VPC security can be used to protect your WordPress, Magento, Prestashop and other open source installations.
3. VPN Connections
AWS VPC allows VPN connections from your in-house data center. This allows you to extend your corporate network into the cloud. You can also use the VPC connected over the VPN as a disaster recovery site and have all the benefits at the fraction of the cost. An IPsec VPN connection between your AWS VPC and your corporate network also allows you to host scalable applications in the cloud that are connected to other applications in your corporate network and secure all the communications between the cloud and your corporate network. Some of the connectivity options are:
- AWS Hardware VPN – IPsec hardware VPN connection between your VPC and the remote network
- AWS Direct Connect – A dedicated private connection between your VPC and the remote network
- AWS VPN CloudHub – Multiple AWS hardware VPN connections through your VPC
- Software VPN – VPN connection between the VPC and the remote network through an Amazon EC2 instance in the VPC that’s running a software VPN appliance like VyOS.
If you have already hosted your E-Commerce store in Amazon VPC, please share your experience in the comment section.
Need assistance in hosting your E-Commerce site with Amazon VPC? We at Macronimous.com can help you. Write us to [email protected]