Will SEO efforts for Bing affect the SERPs in Google?
Not exactly, if you optimize your site for Google SEO factors you will generally do well for SERPs in all the major search engines. In addition you need to do some tweaks in turn for the difference in the algorithm. I have done some research to the sites that lists in Google and Bing for high traffic Global and local keywords and I see some additional importance to the on page and off page factors related to the Google and Bing algorithm. Hope these helps for Bing SEO too
(1) Title tag – Equal importance for Both Google and Bing
(2) Keyword prominence – Equal importance for Both Google and Bing
(3) Keyword density – Bing looks for lesser keyword density compared to Google
(4) Link density – Google gives more priority than Bing
(5) H tag – Bing gives more priority than Google
(6) Clean code – Equal importance for Both Google and Bing
(7) Meta tags – Equal importance for Both Google and Bing
(8) Anchor texts – Bing gives more priority than Google
(9) Super relevant content for optimized keywords – Equal importance for Both Google and Bing
(10) Domain age – Bing gives more priority than Google
(11) Site popularity – Google gives more priority than Bing
(12) Social sites in links – Google gives more priority than Bing
BTW, if you are new to Bing and not listed in Bing search results you may submit your site to http://www.bing.com/docs/submit.aspx
In addition, to list better in Bing you need to implement some additional tasks along with above on page and off page factors.
Configure your site to Bing Webmaster tool http://www.bing.com/webmaster by adding your sitemap.xml file and with an XML file verification code for your site ownership .
And you may also validate your Robots.txt file using the Robots.txt validator tool in the Bing Webmaster section and robots.txt would look like
These would help Bing bot to crawl your site pages and lists in search results efficiently
Hope the post helps and more research has to done as the Bing algorithm changes. I will be positing than and then, so keep watching